several important questions that are asked of us repeatedly.
We have answered them here. However, if you don’t see
your question listed, please feel free to call us or email
us. We’ll answer as quickly as possible.
1. WILL MEDICARE PAY FOR A POWER
WHEELCHAIR OR POWER SCOOTER?
If you qualify with the correct Medicare
criteria, they will pay for a percentage of your power wheelchair
or power scooter.
2 IF I QUALIFY, HOW MUCH WILL MEDICARE
PAY TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A
POWER WHEELCHAIR OR POWER SCOOTER?
Medicare will pay 80% of their allowable
cost of a power wheelchair or power scooter. The amount depends
on the type of power wheelchair or power scooter
you choose and which state you live in. For example, on a $5,000
power wheelchair or power scooter, Medicare may pay $4,000
and your supplemental insurance may pay $1,000. Leaving a $0
3. HOW DO I FIND OUT IF I QUALIFY?
We have an Insurance Specialist on
staff that will be happy to talk to you and determine whether
or not you qualify. You
must meet certain medical criteria established by Medicare
before they will pay for a power wheelchair. Medicare requires
specific paperwork from your physician, such as, a prescription,
Certificate of Medical Necessity, and a letter stating
your specific need. We work with your physician’s office
to obtain these documents, which saves you the headache of
dealing with all the confusing forms and paperwork!
ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS TO RECEIVE MEDICARE REIMBURSEMENT?
The qualifications are as follows:
Medicare Requirements for a Power Wheelchair:
• Patient must be bed or chair
confined (non-functional ambulation) without the use
of a wheelchair.
• Patient cannot operate a manual wheelchair due to severe weakness
of the upper extremities due to a neurologic, muscular
disease/condition, or cardiopulmonary (heart/lung) condition.
• Patient cannot operate controls of a POV and will use power
wheelchair within the home.
• Patient must have a prescription from a doctor (does not need
to be a specialist). Prescription must state: patient name,
diagnosis, and power wheelchair.
• Doctor must also complete a Certificate of Medical Necessity.
• Wheelchair Evaluation must be completed by a therapist. Active
Mobility will arrange the evaluation with the therapist.
Medicare Requirements for a Power Operated Vehicle (POV)
• Patient must be bed or chair
confined (non-functional ambulation) without the use of
• Patient cannot operate a manual wheelchair due to lack of upper
body strength (hands, wrists, arms, and/or shoulder weakness).
• Prescription must be written by one of the following 4 Physician
4. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
• Prescription needs to state patient
name, diagnosis, and POV.
• Certificate of Medical Necessity needs to be completed by above specialist.
Additional letter on Specialist’s letterhead stating specific information
plus the patient can operate the POV safely and will use within the home.
5. DO I
NEED TO CONTACT MEDICARE AND SUBMIT A CLAIM?
No, we file all the necessary paperwork
for you. We work with Medicare and your physician’s
office to obtain all required documents and file them. This
saves you the headache of dealing
with all the confusing forms and paperwork.
IS ACTIVE MOBILITY A PROVIDER FOR PARAMOUNT?
Yes, we are a contracted supplier for Paramount.
7. DO YOU HAVE A REPAIR CENTER
Active Mobility takes pride in our Service/Repair
Center. We have highly trained service technicians who will
of your equipment.